This was the final stage in the conversion. My main motivation this time was my lease running out, therefore I was loosing my garage very soon. So it was now or never to get all the mods done that I could possibly think of at the time. Besides the larger clutch the drive train is still stock. I plan on running around 350 hp, which should not be a problem if I'm gentle and can resist trying to do 4 wheel burnouts.
It all started with the header.
- 3" 304 SS with two O2 bungs
It's big, the core is 22"x22"x2.5" with 2.5" end tanks, it's heavy, and
it flows, a ton. I'm not sure what it came off of, but it's
like the large 23 row NPR IC, but on crack with 35 rows!. Everyone
said I would never get it in there, well you were wrong! All it
took was making a new cross member. The other two intercoolers are
my old Porsche 944 and a Daytona Turbo II IC. I only have good things
to say, turbo spool up is lightning fast now, not slower like some would
think, and holly cow does the car pull at 16 psi. even when it's 95 outside.
It feels like the old one did when it was 40 out.
Re-located next to the new intercooler, both of which are now wrapped in SS mesh for protection. The metric to AN adapter size is 18x1.5mm to -10 AN
Next in line was the throttle body and intake manifold. I hated the throttle body configuration on the MC IM, so I planned on putting a TB in the middle of one. Well, that presented the problem of making everything under the valve cover inaccessible. So I decided to use a 4kq IM as a starting point. Then I went searching for a big TB in the junkyard, and found the perfect TB and elbow on a Ford V8 in a taxicab. It was perfect, 65 mm, nice TPS, and no extra crap hanging off. Then I came across an old Porsche that had and adapter plate for a round Weber TB on it. Well that Porsche originally had a VW TB on it that was the same bolt pattern as the 4kq. This worked perfectly for getting from a round tube to the weird shape of the 4kq TB flange. So, a few cuts later, a bunch of porting, some more MIG welding, and a few more dabs of epoxy, I had my TB mounted. The last step was to get the linkage right, so I mounted a post on the Ford TB that the Audi linkage would snap onto.
I've been searching for something that would separate the oil mist from
the air. There are a few catch tanks available, but
you have to empty them. I wanted something that will drain itself. After searching for the VAG oil separator part # (052 103 495) and coming up empty, I found a Porsche 924 Turbo unit (931.107.221.01) that seemed perfect. It fits well right above the crankcase vent, right now I have it venting through a breather cap, just to see how much oil is still getting out. I paid about $65 for it through German Parts and Restoration.
- Aeromotive adjustable FPR
- 5-50 lb./hr high impedance Delphi injecttors.
- 2-7mm Aquamist Nozzles
- 100 psi Shurflo Pump
- 100 psi Shuflo Accumulator 1 2
- Aquamist High Speed Valve piggy-backed off a fuel injector trigger.